Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Postseason Baseball




There is only one good thing about fall. Postseason baseball. Sure, apple sauce is pretty good. And I love football. But really, the only good thing is the postseason. It’s the time when the true diehards come out. We all have particular traditions and superstitions. I wear my Yankee Santa Hat on every playoff gameday. I’ll be knocking on wood when I make some wisecrack, praying that it doesn’t happen. I say my prayers for Jeter, A-Rod, Po, Andy, Swish, CC, Tex, King Curtis, Huggybear and the rest every night. It gives me ulcers to watch the games. I laugh, I cry, I sing and dance. But on with it. We all do that. Here’s the stuff you want. Predictions.

Granted, this is written after the Phils and the Rangers won, but nonetheless, here they are.

ALDS-TWINS vs. YANKEES

My gut reaction is to take the Yanks in 5. I use only past history in this prediction. The Yankees are to the Twinkies as Kryptonite is to Superman. Deadly. The Yankees have played the Twins in 3 ALDS’s since 2003. The Yankees lead the Twins 9-2 in Postseason games in that time.

However, the Twins have a chance. I give the Twins the edge in pitching (BARELY) and Target Field may have a nice homefield advantage and this guy. But with AJ not starting, Jeter, Grandy and A-Rod all hitting a hot bat right now and CC Sabathia on the hill for 2 of the 5 games, I say it’s the Yankees series to lose right now.

ALDS-RAYS vs. RANGERS

Rays in 4. All day. I’m surprised the Rays won’t take this in 3. The Rays lineup is stronger (Crawford, Longoria and Peña are no force to be reconed with), and they have David Price, who is only a little bit worse than Clifford “The Big Red Dog” Lee.

But, the Rangers looked good today. Damn good. Lee is pitching supurb, and he still only has the second best pitching performance of the Postseason. Thank the good lord he’ll be a Pinstriper next year. Sorry Nolan and crew, this one belongs to the Joey Maddon and the Kids.

NLDS-PHILLIES vs. REDS

Do the Reds really stand a chance? They just got no hit by Halladay. I give them about a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance of winning this series. Oswalt is a postseason machine. And that Hammels kid isn’t bad either.

The Reds only chance is Joey Votto. Votto is an animal. If he gets hot tomorrow, then the Reds chances may be a tad bit higher. No matter, Phillies in 3

NLDS-GIANTS vs. BRAVES

This one gave me some struggles when picking. I like the Braves I guess. It doesn’t really matter though. The winner is going to lose to the Phillies anyways. So I’ll say Bravos in 5. Sorry LeFreak.

OTHER NOTES:

Props to Halliday. That was legit.

Props to twitter Follower 150 @Rose383.

This.

Props to the one kid who I know has actually checked out the blog recently, Kelan Koncewicz.

Comment on this with your predictions.

Thanks for the month of September, Girardi. It was pretty awful.

POLL QUESTION:

Which nickname should I use for Cliff Lee for the Rest of the Postseason?

A) Clifford “The Big Red Dog” Lee

B) Cliff “The Mailman” Lee

C) Go Jump Off A” Cliff Lee

D) Cliff “Bar” Lee

E) Cliff “Jet” Lee


MISSION 28 LIVES ON.

No comments:

Post a Comment